- Brooklyn Law School (cum laude, 1989) Law Review, Executive Articles & Research Editor
- University of Minnesota (B.A. in Liberal Arts, 1976)
Areas of Practice:
Admitted to Practice:
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Sheila M. Gowan
Sheila M. Gowan is a partner in the firm’s New York City office. Her practice is focused on complex litigation. She is the Chapter 11 trustee for Dreier LLP where she is in charge of fraudulent conveyance litigation and all aspects of the wind down of the estate. She also handles civil fraud enforcement actions, as well as other complex litigation.
While in government service, Sheila was in charge of major litigations, and civil and joint civil/criminal fraud investigations for federally funded programs. Sheila negotiated fraud settlements recovering over $225 million, a tax settlement recovering $5.35 million and property settlements recovering important historical materials relating to the Kennedy administration. She is the recipient of several awards and distinguished service commendations from numerous federal agencies including the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI, the U.S. Postal Service and the U.S. Agency for International Development. She received the Stimson Medal presented by the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. Sheila was selected as a “Super Lawyer” in appellate practice in 2012.
Sheila is a frequent lecturer on topics involving the intersection of bankruptcy law and forfeiture law in Ponzi scheme cases, and fraud in federally funded programs. She is a member of the ABI Working Group on White Collar Crime and Asset Forfeiture and Business Bankruptcy.
A member of the New York State Bar, Sheila is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, the Federal Circuit, the 8th Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of Maryland, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Seven Diamond McCarthy LLP Attorneys Named Super Lawyers - Three of Those for Ten Consecutive Years
- District Courts May Get Firms' Unfinished Business
- Diamond McCarthy Forms Top Notch Group to Represent Clients Who Whistle Blow
- Sheila Gowan named Trustee in Dreier LLP bankruptcy
- Diamond McCarthy named as counsel to Sheila Gowan, Trustee for Dreier LLP bankruptcy