In the area of fiduciary representation, our clients include trustees, liquidating trustees, foreign liquidators, receivers, creditors, creditors’ committees, corporate debtors, and litigants in insolvency proceedings. The cases we handle cross a host of industries, including technology companies, industrial concerns, financial businesses, law firms, retail and wholesale food companies, energy, mining and oil & gas companies, agricultural companies and cooperatives, and local, state, national and foreign governments. The firm has a successful and unique history representing trustees, liquidating trustees, and receivers to:
- Handle the administration of complex cases involving the largest sums of money recovered in cases and with thousands of creditors
- Protect, preserve and monetize estate assets
- Investigate, analyze, and prepare for potential estate litigation
- Position the client to best pursue such claims on behalf of the estate
- Work within the case to find funding for the litigation
Our legal team has extensive experience in:
- Fiduciary representation and administration of complex insolvency cases
- Corporate restructurings and representing various constituents in chapter 11 cases
- All aspects of commercial, financial, and other complex litigation
In representing bankruptcy trustees as well as federal equity receivers, the firm handles all aspects of these cases. Of special note, over the past six years the Firm has been representing the Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee for Dreier, LLP, which involves the Ponzi scheme perpetrated by lawyer Marc Dreier involving more than $750 million. The case involved complex issues arising in the intersection of criminal and civil government forfeiture proceedings, SEC receivership and bankruptcy proceedings, and the firm’s work in the Dreier case has resulted in one of the largest and most successful coordination agreements between a bankruptcy estate trustee and the United States government involving asset seizure and forfeitures in U.S. history.
The Firm is currently representing the Chapter 11 trustees in the bankruptcy cases pending in Sacramento, California, arising from the Wannakuwatte Ponzi scheme involving hundreds of millions of dollars in fraudulent investments. The Wannakuwatte case is one of the largest, if not the largest, Ponzi scheme case in the history of the Eastern District of California.