- University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1995)
- University of Texas (B.A., summa cum laude, 1992)
Areas of Practice:
Admitted to Practice:
View as PDF
View My Profile on LinkedIn
With more than 20 years' experience representing employers and executives, Christie Newkirk’s work consists of five chief components:
Litigation: Representing employers in administrative proceedings and litigation of employment law claims, evaluating cases early, finding early resolution opportunities, and zealously advocating when resolution is not the best choice.
Counseling: Providing on-demand employment law advice to employers with HR problems large and small. This includes:
- Discipline and terminations in high-risk scenarios (i.e., sexual harassment and assault cases, C-Suite misconduct, etc.);
- Complicated leaves of absences governed by the FMLA, ADA and workers' compensation laws;
- Reductions in force, including evaluating the legal risks of the proposed reductions, preparing necessary communications and severance agreements, and coordinating with outside consultants, such as PR firms;
- Protection of confidential information and client relationships through confidentiality, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements;
- Proper classification of workers (e.g., exempt or non-exempt, contractor or employee); and
- General preventative advice and counseling.
Investigations: Conducting confidential (often privileged) investigations of employee complaints. In this role, Christie serves as an objective fact-finder for the employer. Her goal is to provide all relevant facts through an efficient inquiry, allowing the client to better evaluate the appropriate response to a complaint.
Training: Conducting a wide range of compliance training on behalf of employers. The trainings use real-life examples and are interactive.
Executives: Christie also represents C-suite executives in the evaluation and negotiation of employment agreements (including non-competes and non-solicitation covenants), responding to allegations and investigations of misconduct, and the evaluation and negotiation of severance agreements.
News & Press Releases
- Seven Diamond McCarthy Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Texas “Super Lawyers”, with One Additionally Recognized with Two “Top 100” Recognitions
- Five Diamond McCarthy Attorneys Selected as "Best Lawyers in America" by Best Lawyers
- Two Great Lawyers Together Again, Diamond McCarthy's Labor & Employment Dynamic Duo
- Diamond McCarthy Partner Christie Newkirk (Dallas) Receives Top Lawyer Recognitions
- Diamond McCarthy Welcomes Partner Christie Newkirk to Dallas Office
Speeches & Publications
Awards / Honors
- Best Lawyers in America - Employment Law Management and Labor Law, 2013-2020
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, Labor & Employment Law, 2012, 2015-2019
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2019
Community / Civic Activities
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association, 2017-2018 (CLE Co-Chair, 2017-2019; Membership Chair, 2020)
- Dallas Bar Association, Employment Law Section (Chair, 2004; Vice-Chair, 2003)
- State Bar of Texas, Employment Law Section