- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (LL.B.)
- University of Texas (B.A.)
Areas of Practice:
Admitted to Practice:
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Supreme Court of the United States
Darrell E. Jordan
View as PDF
Darrell E. Jordan has long been considered a leader in the legal profession and is active throughout the Dallas community. He has been honored for his leadership roles within the legal community on many occasions. Those leadership roles include serving as President of the State Bar of Texas, President of the Dallas Bar Association, and as a member of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee of the American Bar Association.
He is a 2005 Distinguished Alumnus of the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law and a former president of the Texas Supreme Court Historical Society. Mr. Jordan is a Life Fellow of the American, Texas and Dallas Bar Foundations, and he is a Master of the Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court. He is board certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. In addition, Mr. Jordan has been designated a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers® and Texas Monthly for the years 2003 through 2014.
Mr. Jordan's community involvement extends to political activism and civic service throughout Dallas and Texas. He actively serves on the boards of several local organizations including the Methodist Health System Foundation, Greater Dallas Planning Council, Southwestern Medical Foundation, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, the SMU Athletic Forum and the Dallas Summer Musicals.
- Representation of the Texas Supreme Court, Texas Equal Access to Justice Foundation and its Chair in a lawsuit brought by Washington Legal Foundation challenging the constitutionality of the Texas IOLTA program; representation included a trial in the District Court, appeal to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals and, upon grant of writ of certiorari by the U.S. Supreme Court, briefing and argument in that Court on January 13, 1998; there was a trial in the District court again upon remand, appeal to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals and ultimately victory in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003.
- Representation of G.E. Capital in a fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets suit.
- Representation of The Pillsbury Company and its subsidiary, Haagen-Dazs, in a trademark suit with Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Company over "Pralines 'N Cream."
- Representation of Tex-La Electric Cooperative of Texas, Inc., a minority owner of the Comanche Peak nuclear power plant, in a suit over cost overruns associated with its design and construction against Texas Utilities Electric Company, the majority owner.
- Representation of Citibank subsidiary in class action suit alleging violation of Texas statute regulating mortgage lending practices.
- Representation of the city of Arlington, Texas, in an investigation into allegation of corruption in its police force and municipal court system.
- Representation of Citibank, N.A. in a dispute with the Attorney General of Texas concerning credit card collection practices.
- Representation of Mobil Chemical Co. in a dispute with the Attorney General of Texas concerning the labeling claim that their plastic trash and grocery bags were "degradable."
- Representation of a local television reporter in a defamation suit brought by two Dallas Cowboys football players.
- American Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1995-1998; Executive Committee, 1997-1998; Chair Operations Committee, 1997-1998; House of Delegates, 1986-1998; Commission on IOLTA, Chair, 2002-2005; ABA Museum of Law Committee, Chair, 2003-2005; Litigation, Public Law, Business Law Sections; Museum of Law, President, 2003-2004; Museum of Law, Vice President, 1999-2003; Presidential Commission on Access to Lawyers, Member, 2002-present; Standing Committee on Technology and Information Systems, Member, 1999-2002
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation and Antitrust Sections; President, 1989-1990; Director, 1983-1986
- Dallas Bar Association, President, 1982; Director, 1975-1983
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates, since 1990
- Center for American and International Law (formerly the Southwestern Legal Foundation), Trustee, 1992-present
- Committee for a Qualified Judiciary, Chair, 1993-1997
- Fellows of the Dallas Bar Foundation, 1990-present; Chair, 1994-1996
- Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, Master, 2000-present
- The Southwestern Legal Foundation, Research Fellows, Chair, 1996-1997
- Texas Bar Historical Foundation, Board of Trustees, 1990-2007
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society, President 2000-2003; Trustee since 1990
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, Civil Justice Reform Act of 1990 Advisory Committee, Chair
Awards / Honors
- Received the Distinguished 50-Year Lawyer Award from the Texas Bar Foundation, 2015
- Recipient of The Texas Lawbook's Lions of the Bar Award, which acknowledged 50 of the most successful Texas lawyers of the past half-century, 2015
- Named 2013 Texas SuperLawyer, September 26, 2013
- Named 2010 Texas SuperLawyer, September 15, 2010
- Texas SuperLawyer Named To March Corporate Counsel Edition March 1, 2010
- Named Texas SuperLawyer & Rising Star, October 27, 2009
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Charles O. Galvin Award for Service, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law,2005
- Texas Appleseed Foundation, Good Apple Award, 2004
- Recognized in Texas Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, Civil Litigation Defense, Family Law, 2003-2013
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney program and Dallas Bar Association, Special Services Award, 2003
- Texas Equal Access to Justice Foundation, Harold Kleinman Award, 2003
- ABA Award for defending constitutionality of IOLTA, 2003
- Stars of Justice Award, Texas Access to Justice Commission, 2003
- Justinian Award, Dallas Lawyers Auxiliary, 2000
- Presidential Citation, State Bar of Texas, 1991, 1999
- Outstanding Pro Bono Attorneys' Award, Dallas Bar Association, 1987, 1991, 1998 and 1999
- Equal Justice Award, Legal Services of North Texas, 1998
- President's Award, State Bar of Texas 1998
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Community / Civic Activities