- College of Law of England and Wales (LL.B., 2008)
- Oxford University (2004) Certificate in International Public Law
- Wesleyan University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2003)
Areas of Practice:
Admitted to Practice:
- England and Wales (Solicitor)
- England and Wales (Solicitor Advocate - Civil)
- England and Wales (Solicitor Advocate - Criminal)
- District of Columbia (Special Legal Consultant)
View as PDF
Juliya is a UK-qualified Partner resident in the New York office. Her practice focuses on international arbitration and cross-border disputes.
In arbitration, she has represented clients under the LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, SCC, SIAC, Swiss Chamber and ICSID rules. These cases often concern complex jurisdictions (CIS, Africa, and Middle East), complex industries (mining and energy), and complex claims (billion-dollar corporate shakedowns, or parallel criminal and civil proceedings). She has done a number of court-based applications regarding arbitration, including injunctions, set-aside claims, and enforcement proceedings.
Juliya frequently provides strategic advice to support legal claims from Commonwealth jurisdictions, several before the Privy Council. These claims have ranged from judicial reviews, public law and criminal proceedings, submissions for consular assistance concerning individuals charged abroad, and individual mandate submissions before UN bodies such as the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, and the individual mandate of Special Rapporteurs.
Juliya is active in the field of business and human rights and is a ranked individual in this area in Chambers and Partners (2019).
- American Society of International Law
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
- Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association
- Global Business and Human Rights Scholars Association
- A multinational company in an expropriation claim against an African state in ICSID arbitration concerning mining and environmental issues.
- A majority shareholder in a derivative action brought by a Government shareholder, held in a London-seated UNCITRAL arbitration, and related proceedings in local courts, including set-aside proceedings.
- A foreign investor against an oil and gas consortium in a London-seated ICC arbitration concerning an oil lease in Nigeria, including coordination with Nigerian lawyers in applications for freezing and anti-suit injunction.
- A sovereign in an ICC arbitration arising from a multi-million construction contract.
- A financial institution securing an award over $100 million in an LCIA London-seated arbitration concerning related group companies.
- A Ukrainian company in ICSID proceedings concerning an expropriation of plant during the Crimea conflict, and coordinating global counsel in related proceedings against the purchaser of the asset.
- Strategic counsel for an investor in a gold mine, at the center of a high-stakes corporate shake-down of a Russian company, with litigation in multiple jurisdictions including the BVI, Canada and Singapore. Related advocacy invoking the Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act and successfully resisting Interpol Red Notice proceedings.
- An investment fund and its manager as defendants to a London High Court case concerning breach of fiduciary duties including conflict of interest.
- Multiple proceedings concerning restitution and property claims under substantive articles of the European Court of Human Rights.
- International Trade Law Review, Contributor
- Oxford Reports on International Law, Contributor
- Practical Law Company, Contributor
Awards / Honors
- "Up and Coming" in Business & Human Rights Law in Global-Wide, Chambers and Partners, (2019)
Community / Civic Activities