Complex & High-Stakes Litigation
Diamond McCarthy is a national litigation boutique practicing in complex and high-stakes business cases. From “bet your company” commercial disputes to business dissolutions, qui tam “whistleblower” lawsuits to class actions, we are known as creative, sophisticated, thorough and tenacious litigators on both sides of the docket. We frequently are asked to tackle issues of first impression in the courts and regularly argue such issues in the trial and appellate courts. Across the country and around the world, in courts, arbitration forums, and in alternative dispute resolutions, we provide premier representation for our clients. In international litigation, Diamond McCarthy partners with outstanding lawyers in foreign forums to provide the best possible counsel to meet each client’s particular needs.
When major law firms must refer clients and cases due to conflicts, Diamond McCarthy is often on their short list. This is because Diamond McCarthy has garnered a reputation for excellence in the legal community by working with – and often opposing – many of the most formidable large firms in the country with much success. While we are best known for our representation of corporate and high-net-worth individual plaintiffs, Diamond McCarthy attorneys also defend these same clients with equal vigor and tenacity. We are also noted for our superior forensic work in the discovery phase and our ability to augment the value of various economic and financial experts with our lawyers’ strong business, finance and accounting acumen.
Whether taking the role of lead counsel or serving as co-counsel, Diamond McCarthy’s value is reflected in our results, in our cost-effective, no-nonsense approach, and in our client commitment.
In the litigation arena, Diamond McCarthy serves as lead and as co-counsel in disputes involving a wide range of industries and legal issues. At the core of our practice are representations involving:
- Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy, Business Dissolutions & Restructuring
- International & Cross-Border matters
- Securities and Regulatory issues
- Energy and Environmental issues
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Real Estate
- Qui Tam
At Diamond McCarthy, we are not just great trial and appellate lawyers. We are also skilled advocates in pre-trial settlement negotiations and in arbitration and mediation channels. We have represented clients in alternative dispute resolution tribunals across the nation.
Whether in one jurisdiction or across many, in a complicated class action or for a single client, Diamond McCarthy offers the skill, experience and innovation to meet every client’s needs.
- Howrey Creditor Can't Target Equity Holders in Class Action
- Trustee Adds Firms to Clawback List
- Howrey Trustee Sues 7 More Law Firms
- Howrey Estate Tussles with 50 Law Firms
- Diamond McCarthy Attorneys Argue Against in pari delicto Defense at 9th Circuit
- Howrey Trustee Goes after Ex-Partners for Millions
- Hicks Selected as Recipient of ABA Distinguished Environmental Advocates Award
- Dreier Trustee Demands Ex-IP Head, Partners Cough up Funds
- Howrey Trustee to Former Partners: Cut Deals or I'm Suing You
- Howrey Trustee Makes First Round of Settlement Offers
- Retiree reaches settlement in Medicare overbilling case
- U.S. Resolves False Claims Act Claims against RxAmerica Relating to the Company's Medicare Part D Plan
- Scope of Indemnification Rights Under LLC Law Limited
- Howrey Trustee, Akin Gump Standoff Over Question of Attorney-Client Privilege
- Howrey Bankruptcy Will Rely On Contingency Fees, Ex-Partners
- United States Attorney Intervenes & Settles Action Brought by Whistleblower Represented by Diamond McCarthy
- Howrey Estate Searching for Money
- Howrey Officially Begins Process of Clawing Back Money from Former Partners
- After Howrey's Fall: Winding Down IT and Dealing With Data
- Sadler Clinic files Chapter 11
- The Fracturing of Big Law
- Diamond McCarthy Partner is Quoted regarding Dewey & LeBoeuf
- Student and City University of New York Settle Disability Lawsuit
- Andrea Levin Kim, author Strategic Considerations in Seeking Recovery from Directors and Officers, ABI Bankruptcy Litigation Committee Newsletter (February 2013)
- Reda Hicks co-author, "Crafting a Sustainable Mining Policy in the Philippines", published this month in Natural Resources & Environment (Winter 2013), Volume 27, Number 3.
- Richard Janvey and Joan Secofsky, co-authors "Confidential" Settlement Agreements in NY? Think Again
- Kathy Bazoian Phelps, author of The Ponzi Book: A Legal Resource for Unraveling Ponzi Schemes (LexisNexis® 2012), co-authored with Hon. Steven Rhodes, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Kathy Bazoian Phelps, author of The Depths Of Deepening Insolvency: Damage Exposure For Officers, Directors and Others (to be published in 2013 by the American Bankruptcy Institute), co-authored with Prof. Jack F. Williams
- Kathy Bazoian Phelps, author of Ponzi Proof Your Investments: An Investor’s Guide to Avoiding Ponzi Schemes and Other Fraudulent Scams (to be published in 2013)
- Kathy Bazoian Phelps, FraudNet Compendium, author of chapter on Ponzi Schemes (to be published in 2013)
- Kathy Bazoian, author of The Ponzi Scheme Blog at www.theponzischemeblog.com
- How to Avoid Lease-Related Litigation
- Beware of the "Shark Tank"
- Joan M. Secofsky and Richard I. Janvey, co-authors, New York Limits Fidicuary Obligations in Limited Liability Companies (January 2013).
- Joan M. Secofsky and Richard I. Janvey, co-authors Delaware Discusses Fiduciary Obligation in Limited Liability Companies (December 2012).
- J. Benjamin King, Modification and Decertification of Classes, in A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions (ABA 2010)
- David Ammons and James Sheppard, co-authors, Extracting Hydrocarbons From Unconventional Shales, presented at the National Business Institute Conference on Fracking Law: From Land Contract Negotiations to Environmental Dispute (October 2012)
- David Ammons and James Sheppard, co-authors, Valuing The Potential Of Land For Oil And Gas Development, presented at the National Business Institute Conference on Fracking Law: From Land Contract Negotiations to Environmental Dispute (October 2012)
- Richard I. Janvey and Joan M. Secofsky, co-authors Tea for Two Didn't Work: When you own less than 100%, plan your exit strategy at the onset to avoid a destructive business divorce (August 2012).
- Ladd Hirsch author and presenter and James Sheppard co-author of Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire - The Perils of Acquiring Minority Stock Ownership in a Private Texas Company Through Divorce Settlement or Decree, which was presented at the 38th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, hosted by TexasBarCLE, Houston, Texas (August 6-9, 2012)
- Andrew B. Ryan, CLE Presentation, Insurance Basics for the Bankruptcy Lawyer, Dallas Bar Association, Dallas, TX (August 1, 2012)
- Richard I. Janvey and Joan M. Secofsky, co-authors Business Divorce in New York State: The courts may call the shots if you deadlock (June 2012).
- Andrea Fischer, speaker at 28th Annual Bankruptcy & Restructuring Conference, Financial Advisors Tookbox (June 6, 2012)
- Andrea Fischer, panelist at 7th Annual NYIC/AIRA Joint Bankruptcy and Restructuring Event, Achieving Prompt and Efficient Confirmations: Pre-Negotiated Plans, Pre-Packaged Plans and Plan Support Agreements (January 25, 2012)
- Joan M. Secofsky, author of New York Developments E-Discovery of Electronically Stored Information (November 2011).
- Eric D. Madden, co-author, Cut to the Core: Distilling Recent Decisions Interpreting Stern v. Marshall - Part II, ABI Bankruptcy Litigation Committee Newsletter (November 2011)
- Ladd Hirsch and Jason Fulton A Pound of Cure: Remedies for Minority Shareholders Without an Exit Strategy, published in Business Torts Journal, Volume 17, Number 4, (Summer 2010)
- Andrea Levin Kim, co-author of Covenants Not To Compete: A Texas Odyssey, Texas Business Law Journal (Spring 1996)