Diamond McCarthy’s international practice has an established record of representing Canadian entities abroad. Our diverse experience has a particular focus in cross-border litigation in finanical and energy realted disputes. Our lawyers have extensive experience in managing parallel proceedings in Canada and claims with bilateral invest treaties and trade agreements like NAFTA.
Diamond McCarthy’s experience in Canada draws on a multidisciplinary approach to managing a range of cross-border disputes with the help of strong local counsel relationships.
**Diamond McCarthy lawyers are licensed to practice law in US jurisdictions and courts and some international jurisdictions (as indicated on the bio for each individual). Otherwise, we draw on our network of lawyers that are licensed locally in each respective matter.**
Significant Representative Experience:
- Advising a utility on potential claims under NAFTA arising from potential expropriation of a cross-border green energy project.
- Acting on behalf of plaintiff shareholders and founder of a recently merged company listed on a Toronto Venture Exchange-listed company in claims against majority shareholder, board members, and other Directors and Officers which calls for reversal of the recent merger, a monetary damages award and the return of patents covering online and sports betting.
- Acting on behalf of several Canadian Oil and Gas service companies and their Directors and Officers in breach of contract and fraud actions in Texas state court.
- Acted as lead counsel for a Mexican Corporation in the travel and airline sector against another Airline and Travel company in connection with a multimillion-dollar cross-border litigation proceedings involving the U.S., Mexico and Canada. The case went to jury trial in NYC involving cross-border litigation claims for breach of contract, unfair competition and other claims under NY and Mexican law.
- Acted as lead trial counsel to Tricontinental Industries, a publicly traded company based in Vancouver, Canada in connection with securities fraud, negligent misrepresentation and other claims arising out of a large US Corporations demise in the federal courts of Chicago, Illinois.
- Acted as global lead litigation counsel to the provincial government of Marinduque, Philippines against Barrick Gold in connection with one of the largest toxic environmental disasters in the world for environmental cleanup costs and other damages of approximately $1 billion. We lead litigation in the United States (Las Vegas, Nevada) and in Manila, Philippines (as well actions in Canada) and took various issues in the case to the United States Supreme Court, The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the Philippines.
- Acted on behalf of numerous U.S. bankruptcy trustees and Litigation Trusts in disputes and trials against Big 4 auditing firms, former corporate officers and directors, national and international law firms, and investment banks. Greg has handled such matters in Texas, New York, Florida, Mississippi, and California, and has overseen related litigation in Canada, the United Kingdom, Mexico, and the Caribbean
- Acted as lead trial counsel to the Plan Administrator in connection with the Chicago bankruptcy proceedings of Equipment Acquisition Resources, Inc. We investigated, analyzed and litigated fraudulent transfer claims under federal law, as well as pendent state claims against more than twenty financial institutions in the commercial and financial leasing industry in this substantial nine figure Ponzi like fraud. Case settled after five years on the eve of trial commencement and results obtained for our client in settlement was the same multi-million dollar recoveries as if the case had been successfully tried and won in federal court. Defendants include Canadian bank TD North America, financial institutions included both global, national, and Chicago area banks and hedge funds (NY and Chicago based). Opposing counsel in these cases included global firms as well as more than a dozen other major and smaller law firms.
- Acted on behalf of Jewel Recovery, L.P., the Zale Jewelers post-confirmation litigation entity, those causes of action held by one of the world’s largest jewelry companies and its creditors. This engagement involved the management of hundreds of suits in bankruptcy and other courts in the U.S. and Canada, and the resolution of complex questions of liability and damages relating to company officers and directors, the professionals who served them, and their insurers. By reason of the efforts of the Diamond McCarthy lawyers, Jewel Recovery substantially benefited Zale’s creditors.