Diamond McCarthy has a cross-border practice in Latin America with a particular focus in high stakes business and financial disputes between the US and Mexico. Our team is comprised of associates, partners, and senior partners whose native language is Spanish, and some have practiced law and are currently licensed in local jurisdictions. We have a strong knowledge of bilateral investment treaties, trade agreements like NAFTA, and local court procedures to ensure clients receive optimal representation throughout the region.
**Diamond McCarthy lawyers are licensed to practice law in US jurisdictions and courts and some international jurisdictions (as indicated on the bio for each individual). Otherwise, we draw on our network of lawyers that are licensed locally in each respective matter.**
Significant Representative Experience:
- Acting as lead litigation counsel in connection with a multimillion-dollar cross-border litigation on behalf of major US energy corporation and various of its affiliates against various Mexican based corporations and individuals. Parallel enforcement proceedings are ongoing in the Hague, Netherlands and Mexico with ultimate judgment enforcement in connection with Mexican legal proceedings
- Acted as lead counsel for a Mexican corporation in the travel and airline sector against another airline and travel company in connection with a multimillion-dollar cross-border litigation proceedings involving the U.S., Mexico and Canada. The case went to jury trial in NYC involving cross-border litigation claims for breach of contract, unfair competition and other claims under NY and Mexican law.
- Acted on behalf of a global Chinese construction conglomerate providing advice and consultation in a Singapore based ICC international arbitration involving breaches of contract and other claims related to the construction of a 300 megawatt power plant in Guatemala.
- Acted on behalf of a major retailer with annual revenue of $2billion+ in a cross-border breach of license and trademark infringement litigation in the (court in TX) and Mexico.
- Acted on behalf of an energy company in dispute over a right of first refusal to acquire a natural gas pipeline in an international arbitration involving U.S., Mexican and Canadian interests.
- Acted on behalf of a plaintiff in a multi-party litigation involving fraud, conversion and misrepresentation of property in Puerto Rico. Federal litigation reflective of diversity of jurisdiction business cases involving citizens of United States and Mexico and transnational disputes generally.
- Acted on behalf of plaintiffs (thousands) in various proceedings in state and federal court throughout Texas in cross-border, multi-party commercial and personal injury litigation involving numerous national and international companies. Complex litigation reflective of diversity of jurisdiction cases involving citizens of United States, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, the Philippines, and the Ivory Coast as well as transnational disputes generally.
- Advised on an international arbitration regime for a Mexican resort development involving multiple parties and contracts.
- Acted as lead trial counsel for more than 1,000 Latin American investors in connection with claims for accounting and legal professional liability, officer and director liability and financial institution tort liability of more than $350 million in damages arising out of the InverWorld, Inc. bankruptcies in the courts of San Antonio, Texas, the Grand Cayman Islands and the United Kingdom. Substantial recoveries were achieved.